Monday, January 23, 2006

Good-bye Jules, Hello Blog

Nixon occupied the White House when I was a kid.
Growing up with parents who voted for him meant that, in their eyes, he was fine, just fine.
I don't hold it against them. I felt and feel the same way about Clinton.

When Nixon left office, my mother wore the shame that one wears when a close relative has disgraced himself. Parentally devoted as I was at the time, I had no choice but to believe in old Tricky Dick.
Then as now, politics weren't my thing. The pop culture surrounding our pundits and politicos? Now those are some good times.
Logically, I was fascinated with the first daughter, Julie Nixon Eisenhower.
She was 21 and a newlywed when her father was elected. I was 8 and in second grade.
I thought she was so cool.
Smart, savvy and cool.

Something I read at the time, probably Beverly Cleary but maybe Laura Ingalls Wilder, caused me to start a journal. I found it hard to just write without writing to someone. When I confessed this a year later to my third grade teacher, she encouraged me to write as if I were writing to
someone.
Logically, I chose Julie.

And so it began:
Dear Julie, Jan Johnson said I stole her flute. Why would she say such a thing? I'm no thief ...
Dear Julie, My big sister got married today. I'm so happy for her!
Dear Julie, We're going on a trip! We're driving to Kentucky and I get to meet my grandma and grandpa!

It was good fun, but eventually, I dispensed with the pen and paper and began composing in my head; far easier to think the words than to write them. Any conundrum, observation, frustration, or brilliant idea that arose over the next 30 years was simply spun around quietly in my precious and private little mind, for better or for worse.
Until now.
Now I have the Bon Blog, for better or for worse.

So, farewell to you Ms. Eisenhower.
I'm all grown up and moving on to better modes.

It's time for you to go now.

1 comment:

spaceneedl said...

the time-stamp on this post says "2 a.m."

i'm no expert, but i'm pretty sure that's two o'clock in the morning.

you have a demanding muse. but then, those can be the best kind...