Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Mom's Mix

Since I’ve not yet been able to meet with my tech guru to learn how to add columns dedicated to the music I’m listening to and the books I'm reading – that’s what all the hip bloggers do, you know – I have to post my latest spin right here.

Since last night, the CD that's been going round and round in my player is a sweet little disc of 14 tracks compiled just for me by my currently golden son.

Said he after school on February 14: “Mom, I’ve got to go shopping.”

Said I: “Oh really? What’s up?”

“Mom it’s a surprise, but I just want to ride my bike to Starbucks.”

“You’ll be home by 5?”

“Yes mom.”

After assuring me of the route he’d be taking, checking for his phone and testing to make sure the tunes in his headphone weren’t too loud, my boy rode off to get me a valentine. I figured he was out to get me a gift card to further enable my cursed addiction to caffeine. To my surprise, upon his return he presented me with an eclectic mix of essential tunes the he entitled Mom’s Mix.

Unaware that he could download and burn a CD right on our own PC, he utilized the hear music console that Starbucks has added to their repertoire; in case the coffee thing doesn’t work out. But then again, if he’d put the CD together at home he’d missed out on the bike ride and the nifty packaging.

So what does a teenager want his mother to listen too? He said something to the effect of “music that you listen to mom, and music that I want you to listen to.”

His selections included a few songs from Green Day, including my favorite Holiday; Scars from somebody called Papa Roach; and the Presidents of the United States of America singing the hilarious, yet soulful Peaches. In deference to my taste he added Sting’s Bring on the Night. In an effort to enlighten me, he chose Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. And then just to round things out a bit he put in ABBA’s Dancing Queen. For the record, he is the ABBA fan but I can definitely bust out the moves for Dancing Queen if need be!

All and all it’s a great disc and certainly the best Valentine I’ve received in a long, long time.

2 comments:

spaceneedl said...

pardon me...i have a complaint. since yesterday i haven't been able to get that "fernando" song out of my head. i believe this qualifies as torture under the geneva conventions. but since the u.s. no longer believes in the geneva conventions, i guess my complaint is moot.

nevermind.

spaceneedl said...

p.s. that was a special valentine indeed. you must be a very good mom.