Friday, March 3, 2006

Bye, Bye Boonie

No matter how you felt about Brett Boone when he was abruptly shown the clubhouse door last July, you have to admit that he was once a key force in the Seattle Mariners line-up.

Yup, things were bleak at the end. There were days when the once golden glove seemed to have been cast in bronze and couldn't catch a basketball. And the bat? Seemed like Boonie was wielding a broomstick rather than a piece of sculpted ash. Probably the victim of desperation, of wanting the big hit that would knock the monkey right off his back. Never came, though. Finally the Mariners, desperate enough themselves, had had enough and put the spirited second baseman on waivers where he lingered for 8 long days until picked up by the Twins for what amounted to little more than a nightmarish vacation, lasting just 2 weeks. After a long, hard summer he finally signed with the Mets organization last January. But by then, something had changed, Boone had lost his passion.

New York's training camp in Port St. Lucie was the site of his tearful resignation where he cited his dulling edge.

"It wasn't as easy as even three or four years ago, but I had lost the edge. I couldn't look in the mirror and think that I would get that edge back."

True Mariners fans will long remember the contributions Brett Boone made for the 3 1/2 years he wore the M's uniform. Averaging 32 homers and 119 RBIs. Notably his part in the glorious 2001 season in which the Mariners won 116 games. Boone impressively belted in 37 homers and drove in 147 runs, averaging .331 for the season. A gratifying highlight of a respectable, 14 year career that any major leaguer could be proud of.

12 comments:

spaceneedl said...

do you have any suspicions or qualms that boone's best years with the mariners were steroid-induced?

Bon said...

Keylame,
Thanks for stopping by! I enjoy the visitors ... always!

~bon

Bon said...

Spaceneedl,

Both. And I think the statistics reveal telling evidence.But I still beleive in the value of a fond farewell.

~bon

Bon said...

PS: Steroids or not, he still contributed a lot.

spaceneedl said...

what about barry bonds and mark mcguire and sammy sosa and rafael palmiero?

they contributed a lot, too.

what about ken caminiti?

Bon said...

Look dog, it's like this. Steroids are out there. I don't like it but they're there and I suspect in frequent use.
Those who partake will eventually get what they deserve. If you want to go in and altar the baseball stats over the last what, 30 years, and remove all the suspected users, be my guest.
As for me, not only am "hard to sell," I'm fickle too! When Boone was shown the door last summer, I was glad. Today, I'm a little sad.
~bon
ps: I am impressed with your MLB knowledge, thought you were a hoops man.
pss: Boonie isn't anywhere close to holding a spot on my Register of Hunks. I go for the Smarties and the Japanese; Dan Wilson and Ichiro place right after Calvin Trillin. The exception to the above mentioned qualifications is Edgar. Who's definitely not asian and since Ferris Buhler is his favorite movie, I'm not holding out for a real high intellect beyond his incredible knowledge of the game.

spaceneedl said...

my problem is, i still have quaint notions of "fair play" woven into my expectations of players.

i need to get over it, i know, but it's hard to replace old wiring. after awhile you can't find parts, and then the wheels need to be replaced, next thing you know it's time for a new model altogether. by then, though, good luck getting anything in trade...

Bon said...

Oh, I get it, you have values.

I do too, but I choose to let others live their life as they see fit.
Professional Sports, as a whole, is a ridiuclous notion that is out of control. When you're paying people millions of dollars to play a game, that sadly, is going to engender corruption and distort a beautiful day at the ballpark.

If I chose to participate only in activities that were ethical, honest and principled I have to dispense with human beings all together and live by myself in a cabin in the woods.

Oh, but those racoons, they're a shifty lot ...

spaceneedl said...

"Oh, but those racoons, they're a shifty lot ..."

that's why they wear masks.

Anonymous said...

Bon,
With all do respect, I think you must have meant "dawg" in your post, not "dog", right? I think I see a slang dictionary on your birthday list....=)
Sara

Bon said...

sara,

fo shizzle! can ya bad self hook me up wid one of dem slang books?

~bon

Anonymous said...

I think I'll have to! I am not sure if that is slang there or really poor use of a butchered form of eubonics... =)
S