Saturday, December 9, 2006

Zeroing on Zito?

I wonder.

Occasionally, my evening commute takes me past the Mariners' front offices above Safeco Field. On dark, winter evenings I can peer into the fourth floor windows and see the dapperly dressed execs working away on... something.

When passing those windows at 6:30 on a Friday night in early December, as I did last night, I wonder, "what are they doing up there?"

Could they be receiving faxes and other important office-type communique from Bavasi who is struggling through the winter meetings down in Florida? Is he asking them to calculate how many hot dogs they'd need to sell in order to bring a big-league pitcher to the Safe?

Please oh please, Bill, give us fans a ray of hope in these dark winter months.

I'll buy a hot dog, maybe two.
Just give me a competitive team to watch while I'm eating it.

7 comments:

spaceneedl said...

isn't a nice stadium enough? you fans are so ungrateful and demanding.

next you'll want a division title. and then what? a pennant? a world series?

you people are never satisfied.

Bon said...

yep, yep and yep.

But I'll settle for spending the season watching a team that plays above .500 more often than not!

spaceneedl said...

let me recommend a different team. the angels, maybe. or the white sox.

the mariners have demonstrated they're way more interested in being mediocre than being winners.

in my opinion, of course.

Bon said...

Good teams both, but I have a history with the M's.

You know, my dad has thrown out the "first pitch" for the M's not once, but twice.

Who could betray a history like that?

spaceneedl said...

sigh. my loyalties also are with the people who wear the mariners jerseys.

i have little expectation they'll be above .500 this season.

Anonymous said...

Bon- Check this out, this would be some way cool summer part time work.

http://jobsearch.mlb.careers.monster.com/jobsearch.asp?col=dlt&sort=rv&vw=b&lid=28760&q=

T

Anonymous said...

Its Definitely good bookmarking for future reference.