Saturday, February 18, 2006

He's Cute, But Can He Catch?

Early reviews of Kenji Johjima, the Mariner’s new catcher, indicate that things look favorable for their latest Japanese import. Johjima arrived at the spring training camp with his red mitt and lunch box in hand. All accounts describe an engaging, energetic hard worker looking to overcome the language barrier and prove himself to be the breath of fresh air the M’s so desperately need.

His first day of camp was spent catching Moyer (“I felt like I was pitching to my dad” ), Gil Meche and George Sherrill. But it was his ‘off time’ that was more telling. Johjima affably spent time with both the American and the Japanese press corps; his every move documented by the forty- some photographers from Japan and the incessant clicking of their cameras. Then he returned to the plate, crouched down behind his back up catcher, Rivera, to watch and take notes on the hurlers he hadn’t caught that morning.

He's having fun too. In baseball, nicknames are as fundamental as knowing how to tweak the line drive. And the veterans are already finding one for Kenji
Moyer: “who are you?”

Johjima, in disbelief that Moyer didn’t recognize the guy he’d been catching back in Seattle:
“Joe … JOE!”

Moyer: “Joe? Joe who? Joe Mama?”

Johjima didn’t quite get the nickname, but got the significance of having one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whats's Up i am fresh here. I came accross this forum I find It truly useful & its helped me out tons. I hope to give something back & support other people like its helped me.

Thanks Everyone, See Ya About.

Anonymous said...

Hi im fresh on here, I stumbled upon this forum I find It amply helpful & it's helped me out loads. I hope to give something back & assist other people like it has helped me.

Thank You, See Ya Around