Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Revealing My Inner Sexist


My reaction to John McCain's choice of Sarah Palin as his running mate says a lot more about me than I ever cared to admit publicly - until now.

Deep inside, I subscribe to the June Cleaver model of parenting. While I don't care to wear pearls and A-line skirts, I do believe that serving one's children and husband is the priority. There are certain homemaking (remember that word) chores that, I do believe, should be a top priority in the home of every American family.

I believe that somebody has got to get three square meals on the table everyday. And, at one of those meals, the family should sit down together and talk.

I believe that somebody has to do the grocery shopping on a regular basis so that the cupboards and refrigerator always have something to offer.

I believe that somebody has got to get the laundry done and maintain the appearance of dresser drawers that are, as if by magic, always full.

I believe that somebody has to keep the house clean, organized and running smoothly.

I believe our children require these basic needs in place so that they may grow up happy, healthy and, above all, grounded.

This I believe, but can't quite uphold.

The reality at the house of Bon, and most homes across America, is that both parents must work to pay for said house, home or condo. Sadly too is the reality that, maintaining my inner June Cleaver is impossible while working full time. Mind you, Mr. Bon is no slouch when it comes to helping around the house, but more often than not, we choose hands-on time with the Bonlets over household management.

I'm mostly coping with the cognitive dissonance I'm living.
I'm working on achieving a greater balance of work and home that serves our family better. Though it's a little early to tell, the Bonlets do seem to be fairing pretty well despite my lack of home baked cookies in the cookie jar every afternoon when they come home from school.

I find managing the lives of two children, running a house and managing a small business - although very gratifying - extremely time consuming. So much so that I can't find the time to grab a cup of coffee with a friend. How does Sarah Palin expect to raise her children and help run the country?

She has five children. Five children. They range in age from what, nineteen to two. One's heading to Iraq soon, one's about to become a teen mother, one's a hockey player and one has Downs Syndrome. Sheesh. I thought my plate was full. Is she really at a point in her career where she should even be entertaining the thought of moving her family to Washington, DC and accepting the position of Vice President?
I don't want someone a "heartbeat away from the presidency" who has so much on her personal plate.

I'm not saying that a woman's place is in the home - well actually, I am.
But I do so recognizing that everybody gets to make their own choice. And for some women, it is better not to be at home. I get that. I also get that sometimes, most especially when you've brought a slew of children into the world, you don't necessarily get to do what you want to do. Sometimes, your career has to wait - or at least operate in low gear for awhile.

In the case of the Palin family I believe the thinking is misaligned, the decisions are unwise and a prime example of parenting that isn't, couldn't possibly be, focused on the family.

Maybe I've overlooked something. Maybe... Mr. Palin is the Mack-Daddy of parenting. Maybe... he doesn't need her help with the brood. But of course, how could we know? Mrs. Palin, in her typical fashion, has squelched this man's voice.

2 comments:

spaceneedl said...

in recent interviews she's completely clueless and discombobulated...there's no reason to think she's any different at home.

her kids are prolly better off with her out of the house.

Bon said...

Well, that makes me feel better.

I'm glad you stopped by, and, I'm glad you'll still talk to me even though I give the appearance of being a conservative sexist.