Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What's the Word, Bird?



"I've got a hunger,

twisting my stomach into knots..."




Every once in a while, you stumble upon a song and find the lyric so eloquent you wish like hell you would have written the poem that became that song. Sometimes, the song resonates so strongly it gets stuck in your head, your psyche and your throat. It becomes the backdrop of your life. At times, it takes over your thinking.

I've had just such a song stuck in my head for weeks now. Oh yes, weeks. Possibly even months; I can't be sure though - for, where this song is concerned, I've lost all track of time. It's in my head when I wake up. It's there humming softly as I make my daughter's lunch. It's there when I drive to work - and at work, shuffling fabric, folding invoices. Cooking dinner? It's there- spinning on some sort of maniacal loop, playing its soft, sweet, haunting self over and over.

Though my efforts have been mighty, I haven't been able to shake this song. No amount of soulful serenades or rocking baselines can exorcise this number.

This song's presence is so constant, maddeningly-so I might add, that I've come to realize it's there for a reason. I am supposed to stop and just listen to it. There is a message I'm supposed to be gleaning. The Universe is trying to tell me something. But What? What. What is the word? Speak up Universe.

Furthermore, I'm not really sure I'm comfortable getting a message from this particular song. Though beautiful, it's one bleak little ditty. Have a look for yourself:

I've got a hunger,
Twisting my stomach into knots
That my tongue has tied off

My brain's repeating
"if you've got an impulse let it out"
But they never make it past my mouth.

Bop Ba, this is the sound of settling

Our youth is fleeting
Old age is just around the bend
And I can't wait to go gray

I'll sit and wonder
Of every love that could've been
If I'd only thought of something charming to say.

Bop Ba, This is the sound of settling.


Who knew the Universe would speak to me through those Death Cab for Cutie cuties?
I feel so special. But hey, what exactly is the message? Why won't this song leave my head? I like the song alright, but I don't want it taking up permanent residence. It reminds me of a day like today; a sunless, autumn day. It makes me feel empty inside; hungry, if you will.
What's worse, if I chose to dwell on it, I could find truth in every line of that lyric. But in a long-ago lifetime- not now, not here. Meanwhile, my stomach is twisting into knots!

So Universe. What are you saying? Are you handing me a proclamation, or just issuing a gentle word of caution. Does this have something to do with my current career situation? Do tell. Whatever it is you're trying to say is lost on me. I need a clearer message. I'm not too bright, ya know.

Kudos (I think)to Death Cab for Cutie for putting this song on their 2003 album Transatlanticism. Want to get The Sound of Settling stuck in your head too? Click on this spot, right here.

2 comments:

spaceneedl said...

i have a whole bunch of jimmy buffett songs playing on my inner soundtrack these days.

they mostly speak to living in the moment and not taking everything so seriously.

i hear it, and believe it, but i'm not very good at following the advice.

Bon said...

How come you get light hearted Jimmy and I get solemn DCFC?

Dang, I'd listen to Jimmy in a heartbeat!